Friday, January 27, 2012

What Happened to Spontaneity???

When did our lives become so scheduled?  Eat at time X, meet so-and-so at time Y, go to bed at time Z, etc. 



Then again, I guess if you think about it, our whole lives have been this way.  Since birth we were on a schedule.  Eat every 3 hours, poop every two, cry uncontrollably from 5:30 to 9:00.  But there was a time.


Ahhhh...College...Ok, so we had to make it through 13 years (ok, 14 if you count Pre-School) of classes being fully scheduled.  8:00 AM to 3:30, three recesses in between with a Lunch Break in the cafeteria with the BIG kids sitting on the other side of the room and you knew if you looked at them wrong they could beat you up just by staring you down.  There were cootie bars that only certain people could touch and if you weren't that person and that bar was on the door you might not be able to get to the cafeteria to get the milk for snack time!  CRISIS!  Your biggest competition was over whose mom sent the better crackers for snack time and why oh why did your mom have to send something SO UNCOOL for you!

But College.  College was a time where there may have been a schedule, but you could fudge the lines of schedule if you felt like it.  Ok...Where I went to college one could get away with it at least.  You could study when you wanted, when you made your schedule it was a schedule that you wanted for classes that you wanted.  If you didn't want to go to class at 8:00 you could probably get away with not doing it at that time.  And then you graduated.  Degree in hand and the words that every graduation speaker says:  "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."  Wise words, but they should have said something more like:  "Tomorrow is the first day you'll be on a schedule for the rest of your life."

There's working out, going to work, soccer practice, ballet lessons, piano lessons, feeding people, or at least yourself three times a day, seven days a week and usually at the same times EVERY DAY!  I'm not saying that schedules are bad.  Some days I'd be absolutely lost if I didn't have a schedule somewhere reminding me about a doctor appointment or eye appointment or meeting with the boss or whatever it is.  The one thing I keep falling behind on is scheduling WHAT will be at those meals that come around three times a day.  It's not that I don't have food at my house; if you think this is the case please stop over and feel free to snoop cupboards at any time. 

I seem to be able to make a plan at the begining of the week of what we'll have every night for supper and then it seems like something derails the plan.  D heads out of town with a load somewhere; I forgot to buy something at the store on Tuesday night; or I just don't feel like cooking by the time I get home at night.  This week though, THIS week WILL be different.  I hope.  Ok, I hope by putting it on here that it will help me to stick to it and make it different.  And I hope you will join me it this resolution.  Heck if we can conquer it for a week, we can do it for two can't we?  And two can turn into four right?  And four into 52?

2 comments:

  1. You can do it!!! I meal plan here and it helps so much, of course being 45 miles from a grocery store makes a really good plan. It will also help with the grocery shopping and organization! :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ~C~! Our cupboards are always stocked (I buy extra of stuff we use frequently when it's a good price on sale (especially when I have coupons to match with it!)) and keep a running list of random things I need for recipes I want to try so I can catch some of the ingredients on sale. Now if we can just get the rest of this down! haha...

    ReplyDelete