Friday, September 9, 2011

Peanut Butter FROSTING!!!

So I seem to be on a homemade frosting kick.  Luckily for me I have a co-worker who LOVES frosting (especially homemade) and does not like cake so she is my official frosting tester!  I'm in the middle of making the cake for my P-M-S-MIL's (Potential-Maybe-Someday-Mother-in-Law) 50th birthday party this weekend and used the extra cake batter to make some cupcakes for a class I was teaching last night.  In my magic box of "Recipes I'd like to Try" I had put a recipe for a Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcake I had come across on TastyKitchen.com. 

These cupcakes look AH-MAZING! (And like the 10 lbs. I'm aiming to lose will never go away if I eat even one of these!)  Since I already had a chocolate cupcake baking I stole the frosting recipe.  This frosting was SO delicious that I was tempted to eat what was left on some graham crackers and never share with frosting-loving-coworker.  It's not overly sweet like some frostings are; it is the perfect balance of sweet and peanut butter that just makes you want to sit with a spoon and unconsiously eat it all!  Here it is for you to try:

Peanut Butter Buttercream:
1/2 cup Butter, softened (you will notice as this blog progresses I like recipes with butter...LOTS of butter sometimes)
2/3 cups Peanut Butter (I used a creamy peanut butter on hand, but don't see why if you wanted it a little chunky that you couldn't use a chunky peanut butter.)
3 cups Powdered Sugar (you may need 1 more cup)
1 Tbsp. Milk (have 1-2 more on hand (I added 1 more.))
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 pinch Salt

Cream Butter and Peanut Butter together in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Add Powdered Sugar with mixer on low speed and gradually add Milk and Vanilla Extract.  Add a pinch of Salt and mix until frosting is smooth.  if too thick, add more mild; if too thin, add more sugar. 
Put the frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a tip.  Poke a hole in the cupcake with the pastry tip and fill the cupcake.  Then frost the cooled cupcakes as desired!

It's that simple.  Keep in mind when making homemade frosting, the longer you mix it the smoother it is!  I love having my new stand mixer for this now as I can leave it to mix to the desired creaminess and finish something else!

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!  With frosting this good the party should be a hit!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome, gonna have to try this on my husband the cupcake lover :)

    ReplyDelete